While the problems had been kept largely under wraps for a number of months, the first signs of fraying began to emerge in the summer of 2002 when Manchester United made a move for Rio Ferdinand, who had joined Leeds from West Ham United two years earlier for a then-world record £18 million transfer fee.
- 1 Who became Manchester United’s record signing in 2002?
- 2 Where Did Man Utd buy Rio Ferdinand?
- 3 When did Ferdinand join Manchester United?
- 4 What clubs has Rio Ferdinand played for?
- 5 How much did Vidic cost United?
- 6 How old was Rio Ferdinand when he left Manchester United?
- 7 Is Les Ferdinand related to Rio Ferdinand?
- 8 How long did Rio Ferdinand play for Manchester United?
Who became Manchester United’s record signing in 2002?
On July 22, 2002, Manchester United spent a lot of money to sign Rio Ferdinand to a five-year contract. With the deal, the defender became the most expensive British footballer in history at the time, as well as the most expensive defender in the world for the second time in his career.
Where Did Man Utd buy Rio Ferdinand?
Manchester United finally got their man yesterday night, agreeing to a world-record transfer cost of £30 million with Leeds United for star England centre half Rio Ferdinand. The deal was completed late last night.
When did Ferdinand join Manchester United?
Rio Ferdinand joined Manchester United in 2002 and quickly established himself as the world’s most expensive defender. The fact that Ferdinand was just 23 years old meant that he had the rest of his life ahead of him, but even he could not have imagined the things that he would go on to do.
What clubs has Rio Ferdinand played for?
- ‘I am really proud of the 81 times I represented England on the field. The memories created here will be remembered for a lifetime.’ The clubs that Rio Ferdinand represents are West Ham United, Leeds United, Manchester United, and Queens Park Rangers, among others.
- One Champions League, six Premier Leagues, and three League Cups have been won by the club.
- Caps: 81, with three goals
- Inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2016
How much did Vidic cost United?
2. Manchester United acquires Patrice Evra and Nemanja Vidic for £12.5 million (2006) Yes, we are considering them as a unit because they joined the Manchester United defense as a group and have grown as a unit over the course of the season.
How old was Rio Ferdinand when he left Manchester United?
At the age of 34, I believe it is appropriate for me to step back and let the younger players to develop, allowing me to concentrate on my club career.
Ferdinand was born in the Greater London borough of Acton. He is the cousin of football players Rio and Anton Ferdinand, as well as Maidenhead United’s Kane Ferdinand, who all play for the club. Sir Les was the title of his autobiography, which was released in 1997.
How long did Rio Ferdinand play for Manchester United?
During his 12 years as a Manchester United player, Rio Ferdinand established himself as one of the world’s best defensive players.